New york cheese cake
This is one of my favourite Baked cheesecake and trust me , non others stand a chance with my family but this
super duper easy to make recipe !
The tough part is when one has to have the patience to wait for it to cool & chill almost overnight before you can dig into it so as to get the best results as it take time to cool & chill , so do take this tip as a warning to make it the previous evening & set over night or make it at-least 6 hours ahead of required time !!
This recipe is particularly so good with its golden brown crust , that you may not even need to top it with a fruit topping !!
Thanks to the “water bath” bake !!!
Shhhhhh .... (this is one of the secrets to a truly creamy cheesecake too )
I specifically use the water bath to provide an even, uniform & slow heat , it works better than the direct heat of an oven , this is important for baking foods like cheesecakes, which mostly tend to crack from the heat of the oven and
specially as this recipe gets an beautiful golden , caramelised top , so preventing it from cracking is a must I d say !!
Preparations ahead -
Now , for the water bath - you will need-
- an additional baking pan that is large enough to hold the cheese cake springform pan , many a times it’s also at an advantage to have another baking dish to put this (wrapped in foil one ) to avoid any water from seeping into the pan ! though it’s optional .
note - make sure the water is mid way up to the tin in both conditions !!
-A 10 “ spring bottom cake tin for the cheese cake
aluminium foil for the outer lining of the pan
preheat the oven @ 180C
All ingredients are advised to be at room temperature for the best final results !!!
* 5 large eggs, room temperature
* 450 gm ( 2 cups ) sour cream, room temperature
* 950 gm cream cheese, room temperature
* 8 tablespoons (flat )unsalted butter, room temperature
* 1 1/2 cups sugar
* 2 tablespoons cornstarch( optional )
* 1 to 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
* 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest (take care & avoid the white part)
1. Generously butter the inside of a 10-inch springform pan. Wrap a double layer of heavy-duty aluminum foil tightly around the outside bottom and sides, crimping and pleating the foil to make it conform to the pan. This will help to prevent water seeping into the pan when you put it into the water bath or what is a bain -marie.
2. Position the baking rack in the center of the oven; preheat the oven to 300 Fahrenheit.(180C) for 20 mins
3. In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the eggs with the sour cream until well blended.
4. In a medium-sized bowl, beat the cream cheese with the butter until smooth and creamy. Add this to the egg-sour cream mixture and beat until smooth.
5. Add the sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest and beat thoroughly, about 2 minutes.
6. Pour into the prepared springform pan and place in a roasting pan (or other pan) large enough to prevent the sides from touching. Place in the oven and carefully pour in enough very hot tap water to reach halfway up the sides of the springform pan.
7. Bake for 2 hours, or until the cake is slightly golden in colour and a knife inserted in the center emerges clean.
Remove from the water bath and carefully peel the aluminum foil from around the pan. Let stand at room temperature until completely cool, about 2 to 3 hours. Refrigerate, covered, until well chilled. For best flavor and texture, this cheesecake is best chilled overnight.
serve as desired with a choice of fruit compote or just a big slice on its own !!!