Pawta Bhat is pretty popular
Combination of fresh finely chopped dill along with preferably fresh baby Lima beans or young soya beans and aromatic short grain rice make a very delicious vegetarian pulao !
Here I have combined these tastes of dil, cilantro & beans together .
The idea of throwing these ingredients together is inspired from my mom s Persian Masoor Pulao !
My Mom is a great culinary genius herself !
This mixed rice could be served as a vegetarian dish along with some yogurt and
I must say that it goes very well non vegetarian food too as many Maratha would have it with a yummy lamb dish , I have made it for several guest dinners and it’s always been a great hit .
I like the rice to be covered with fresh grated coconut & plenty of cilantro and some dill as a garnish .
Also, I use 1/2 portions of Lima beans and rice.
To me, cooking food is not an exact science. I usually start with having the main ingredients for a dish that I like to make but I tend to kind of add my own personal touches & many a time I stick to mom’s instructions given to me in my earlier days .
However, if there is a bit of change to an original recipe sometimes, it’s okie .
an Import note to mention -
Many of us know that there may be many variations of a recipe. It depends which part of the country you are from, north or south or how your mom has taught you to cook.
•1 cup basmati rice , wash & soak 10 mins.
•1 cup fresh peeled Lima Beans
•2 peeled & cubed Potatoes
•1 tsp Turmeric Powder
•1 tsp Coriander Powder
•1 tsp cumin powder
•1tsp garam masala powder
•1 bay leaf
•1/2 cinnamon stick
•2-4 black pepper corn
•1-2 black cardamom
•A pinch of Asafoetida (Hing)
•To taste Salt
•1 finely sliced Onion
2-3 tbsp oil /ghee
green masala -
4 tblsp fresh grated Coconut
4 tblsp Coriander Leaves
4 fresh green chillies
3-4 cloves of garlic
1/4 “ ginger
to garnish -
1/4 cup grated fresh coconut
2 tbsp fresh cilantro
2 tbsp fresh dil
2 tbsp lightly fried cashew nuts ( optional )
1tbsp ghee ( clarified butter)
How to make pavta bhat
* finely grind the green masala ( keep aside )
* in a pan add 1 tsp oil ,when hot add the asafoetida, the beans, sauté , add I1 cup warm water & cook till half cooked
* Heat the oil in a pan and add the whole bay leaf ,pepper corn , cardamom sauté
* add the sliced onions & sauté till onions become translucent.
* Now mix turmeric, chili powder, coriander, salt and potatoes, diced potatoes
* add drained rice
* add the drained beans & ground green masala
* add the garam masala powder & sauté well
* Add 1 cup warm water & sim cook until potatoes & rice are cooked .
* Top with grated coconut and coriander leaves.
* 1Tbsp of hot ghee
* Serve hot.