Here is a recipe of Tempuras
prawns or vegetables your choice !
Japanese favourite with many ,
specially as its crunchy fried Prawn ,
we can use the same batter & method to make -
vegetable Tempuras too, here one can replace the prawns with - carrots , capsicum, potato, sweet potatoes, brinjals , all washed , dried & sliced or cut into long 1/2” thick fingers !
Always remember, the secret of getting perfect Tempura is the “Tempura flour” never compromise on this flour - its easily available in all leading food stores , housing international ingredients!
10 Jumbo shrimp (the bigger the better.( Thaw if they are frozen.)
peanut oil for deep frying
tempura flour ( ready flour)
cold water to mix the batter .
Tempura sauce ingredients: •1 cup fish or shrimp broth •½ cup Kikkoman soy sauce • ¼ cup rice wine •2 tsp. sugar •4 cloves minced garlic •½ cup grated radish (finely)
2 For Vegetarian version ( my favourite) tempura sauce -
30ml - water
7ml - sake
Grated ginger and grated radish little of dashi to taste
Tempura batter -
Tempura flour mix water preferred cold water to form a coating consistency batter .
1. Prepare shrimp. Remove shells. Make a shallow slit down the back to devein the shrimp. If you canʻt locate the vein, itʻs not a big deal.
2. Turn the shrimp over and make a few tiny slits across the belly. Bend the shrimp so that it is as straight and long as possible, you can insert a tooth pick or a Sate BBQ stick to keep these straight as well !
3. Heat vegetable or peanut oil to just hot temperature check with a drop of batter or with a chop stick dipped in , When golden brown or there are small bubbles around the chopstick, the oil is ready.lower to about medium heat .
4. always dip / roll the prawn in tempura dry flour first
6. now dip in batter - like process below -
7. When the oil is hot and you are ready to deep fry the shrimp.
8. Do these steps with each individual shrimp: Roll in flour, then dip in the tempura batter and place carefully in fryer.
9 the flour is first coat than the tempura mixture.
10. Fry about 2 minutes on each side or until batter is golden brown.
11. Place onto clean paper towels to drain off excess oil.
12. Wait until cool and then ENJOY!
To make tempura sauce: 1. Mix all ingredients and cook for 5 minutes. Cool before serving.